ClimeCo International's (CCI) projects are based on Advanced+ Anaerobic Digestion (A+AD) of organic waste streams to produce BioGas.
BioGas is the main product of Anaerobic Digestion (AD). It is an energy-rich (6kWh per m3) combustible gas mixture of primarily
- Methane/Natural Gas (CH4), approximately 60% and
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2), approximately 33% with smaller amounts of
- Nitrogen (N), Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) and Hydrogen (H2)
Anaerobic Digestion is a (naturally occuring) fermentation process in which
- Bacteria consume organic materials (e.g. food processing waste, harvest waste, animal manure, etc)
- In the absence of oxygen and
- Release BioGas as a by-product
The bio-chemical AD process runs through several serial stages (Hydrolysis + Acidogenesis + Acetogenesis + Methanogenesis) to convert organic matter into BioGas. Each process stage is performed by different bacteria. More details (external link).
Optimizing Anaerobic Digestion therefore critically requires a suitable environment for the digesting bacteria
- Temperature between 30°C & 37°C
- Good exposure (i.e. continuous mixing) between bacteria & organic materials
- Continuous homogenous food supply (i.e. new organic substrates)
- Several serial process stages to optimize conditions for each type of bacteria
- Sufficient retention time for the digestion process
ClimeCo International's A+AD BioGas Production Technology: 28m3 of BioGas per TFF
Based on these parameters CCI's have developed the Advanced+ Anaerobic Digestion (A+AD) technology in optimized BioGas reactors:
- Fully insulated & temperature controlled at 33°C
- Equipped with continuous feeding & mixing systems
- Multi-stage process to offer the ideal environment for stage-specific bacteria
- Sized to offer the ideal substrate-specific volume (i.e. retention time)
This ideal environment leads to an industry-leading production of 28m3 of BioGas per ton of fresh palm oil fruit (TFF).
Entire Body Built in Steel or Steel-Enforced Coated Concrete - Useful Life of 25 Over Years
The robust & rugged construction of the entire digester body in steel or steel-enforced, coated concrete ensures a strong resilience against internal & external forces and therefore useful technical life of over 25 years.
CCI's plants thereby offer the longest continuous useful technical life (over 25 years) for BioGas plants in Latin America.
Proven Technology for over 40 Years
Anaerobic digestion is a proven technology that has been operated with huge commercial success in Europe & SE Asia for over 40 years. Germany alone operates
- Over 8,000 (!) commercial BioGas-to-power systems (>500kWel) based on anaerobic digestion (AD)
- With a combined installed capacity of over 4,000 MWe (=10 large scale thermal power plants or 3 nuclear power plants
Following a strong growth since 2009, Europe now operates more than 17,000 commercial BioGas plants (capacity>500 kWe).